Transom of Li'l Breeze

Change

It doesn’t take a genius to realize that being open to change, to setting aside old prejudices and learning something new is usually an asset. This can open new horizons by changing the way you see the world. It can make yourself more useful and thus, more valuable at work. New relationships with others may emerge and maybe…just maybe…that new paint on your boat may look much, much better!

I haven’t written much about Li’l Breeze recently because not a whole lot has happened since I brought her back home. It’s not that I haven’t done anything but that most everything I have done has been redone again and again because well, it just hasn’t been coming out good enough to satisfy me.

What I’ve been working on is getting the transom painted. For the rest of the hull, I rolled the paint. After the blister repair I wanted to ensure that the barrier coat/sealer was sufficiently thick enough to keep the moisture out. I’m sure it’s overkill on my part – the boat will not sit in the water for extended periods and somewhere along the way, it seems I forgot this was not supposed to be a huge investment. This boat was to be something to get me back on the water while I sorted out whether I wanted to pursue something larger again.

When the barrier coat was applied, I used a short napped roller but it was not a foam roller as had been suggested. I sanded between coats but there is still some orange peel (texture) that came through when I did use rollers to apply the polyurethane top coat for color. At the time, I had a lot of repair work to do on the transom so I had already decided to do that when I got home. Once I saw how much texture was visible on the rest of the hull, there was no doubt in my mind that I simply couldn’t roll the transom. Even a foam roller was likely going to leave too much texture to go behind and apply the name or whatever else I may decide to put on the transom.

So, I pulled out my handy dandy airless sprayer. Maybe had I invested more in a better airless sprayer it would have worked better. As it is, each time I have tried to paint the transom with this sprayer, not only has it come out poorly and loaded with runs, the over-spray has made a mess in my garage.

The final answer is that it became apparent I needed to invest in a compressor and paint gun if I was ever going to finish the transom and move on. I’ve never painted using this method before. I’ve always felt that though it might be faster, rolling would ensure better, thicker coverage. Additionally, buying more ‘stuff’ is straining my attempt to simply.

However, it has become apparent that rolling the paint on the topside and cockpit wasn’t going to be ideal either and now I will be throwing many fewer used rollers and brushes into the trash. Additionally, there should be less mess in the garage. Finally, I’m already seeing other projects around the house that would look much better with paint sprayed rather than rolled.

Just what I need. More projects! However, the next picture of the transom should be when it is ready for the name to be applied…in whichever form that takes.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *